Monday 18 June 2018

LO4: Exporting final magazine pages [✓]

I am exporting my front cover for my magazine as a TIFF file. This is a large, high-quality file used for printing and this is a lossless file. Tiff files are industry standard and I want my magazine to be on par with my competitors such as the local Sheffield magazine, Exposed, or Q magazine which is an indie music magazine just like "Off Beat". Tiff files are universally compatible meaning that it can be viewed on any device, this is good if I decided to put my magazine online as my audience are digital natives so therefore they grew up in an age of technology. This means they will be expected to access mt magazine on a range of different platforms. Due to a TIFF file being high quality and lossless it will take up a lot of storage space but it is worth this cause of the distribution of my high-quality product.



To actually export my magazine I had to open my final version of my magazine and click on save as. I then changed the file type form psd to TIFF due to this being the file type appropriate for printing. I saved this into my version controls folder as well as the psd document so should anything happen to the magazine I can just export it as a TIFF file again.

I would need to export my magazine at 300 resolution. This is because I need to make sure that it is high enough quality for print.

If I was too, in the future decide to put my magazine online or on an app to make it available for a digital native audience, I would need to change the file to 72 resolution. This is so that it is still a high-quality file but not too large to store online and would take a long time to load.







When exporting my contents and double page spread I will need to export the pages as a PDF file. This is still a large lossless file meaning that it is high quality. PDF's are exportable, easy to upload and download online and is also something that everyone can access. This is a universal file and is therefore good if I decide to put my magazine online and also good for printing. Much like exporting my cover page, I made sure that I saved another copy of my magazine as a indd document so that if anything was to happen to my double page spread and contents page, I would be able to re-export it.


In the magazine industry, both TIFF and PDF files can be sent straight to reprographics for printing. When something is sent as a PDF all images, text and graphics stay the same in terms of alignment.

No comments:

Post a Comment